I think I am one of thousand people who upgrade MS Office to be MS Office 2007 and got pain for MS Excel to slow open file. It takes more than 1 minute. although there are no any add-in was installed and my file is only 333 KB.
1. Microsoft just blame to antivirus program. Hence, I disable my antivirus program and double click the excel file. It comes up faster as they said. Anyway, I still confuse that why the previous version can open faster although the antivirus program is enable and it is not good idea to switch off and on antivirus program every time when I want to open excel and will be crueler if I have to un-install the antivirus program for this matter.
2. Somebody told me to add more parameter %1 for all file type of Excel in the “OPEN” settings of Explorer file associations as follow.
- Launch “Windows Explorer”
- Click Menu Tools -> Folder Options
- Click Tab “File Types”
- Select item XLS in the list
- Click Button “Advanced”
- Select Open in the list
- Click button “Edit”
- Then add “%1” after /e in the box “Application used to perform action:”
but I found that it twice open the workbook when we double click on it.
3. I just install only one add-in, Lookup Wizard, to MS Excel. Amazing, my excel file can be open within 10 seconds when double click on it. So, I uninstall the Lookup Wizard add-in, close the Excel and re-open by double click the same file then it takes more than 1 minute for opening again. I do not know why just install an add-in can make MS Excel to fast open file as previous version.
Next experiment, I uninstall all Add-ins of Excel 2007 and install Add-in of Excel2003 (or previous version) then it take more than 1 minute to open file.
The last experiment, I create new file and save it as Add-in file of Excel2007 (Extension file is XLAM). There are not any data or VBA programing in the file. After I install the Add-in, I found that Excel can open file within 10 seconds.
HENCE, MY SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM IS JUST INSTALL AN ADD-IN OF EXCEL 2007. You did not need to install all add-ins. Just install only one add-in and see the effect.
I hope that this solution will be useful and solve your problem. I will be appreciating if you can post some comment that is this solution work for you or not?
Thank you for your reading.